Modern cosmetic dentistry has brought about so many innovative and smile-enhancing procedures that it’s sometimes difficult to sort it all out. You’re smile is just not as appealing as it once was, and you know that you need some kind of enhancement in addition to your routine oral care. But which procedures will treat your underlying oral problems as well as create the smile you desire? Today I’d like to speak to you specifically about crowns, their uses and benefits.
What is a dental crown?
Dental crowns ("caps") are one of dentistry's most versatile types of restorations. Crowns are a type of dental restoration which, when cemented into place, fully cup over the portion of a tooth that lies at and above the gum line. Since dental crowns encase the entire visible aspect of a tooth, a dental crown in effect becomes the tooth's new outer surface. There are several types of crowns but porcelain is the most popular. Porcelain crowns are made to match the shape, size, and color or your teeth. They are highly durable and will last many years.
When is a dental crown used?
A crown may be used to strengthen broken, fractured teeth, cover large or fractured fillings or for cosmetic enhancement. In addition, all teeth that have root canal treatment should have a crown (cap) placed. This protects the tooth, prevents it from breaking, and restores it to its full function.
What does getting a crown involve?
A crown procedure usually requires two appointments. Your first appointment at CA Restorative Dentistry will include the taking of several highly accurate molds (or impressions) used to create your temporary crown as well as your permanent custom crown. The tooth is prepared by removing any decay and shaping the surface to properly fit the crown. Your temporary crown is then placed.
During your second appointment your temporary crown will be removed, the tooth will be cleaned, and your new crown will be carefully placed so that we can ensure proper spacing and an accurate bite. You will receive instructions for care and cleaning before you are sent home with a beautiful, enhanced smile.
- San Bruno Cosmetic Dentist Reveals the Secret to a Youthful Smile
- San Bruno Cosmetic Dentist Explains the Benefits of Custom Teeth Whitening
- San Bruno, CA Periodontics Dentist Discusses Professional Dental Cleanings
- San Bruno Veneers Dentist Explains the Best Way to Care for Your New Porcelain Veneers
- San Bruno Periodontal Dentistry Describes Complications of Periodontal Disease
- San Bruno Invisalign Dentist Discusses Advantages of Clear Braces for Straightening Teeth
- San Bruno Restorative Dentistry Describes How Lumineers Fix the Appearance of Damaged Teeth
- San Bruno Restorative Dentistry Explains Why Dental Restorations May Wear Down
- San Bruno Periodontal Dentist Addresses Symptoms of Dry Mouth and Bad Breath
- San Bruno Dentist Explains Laser Periodontal Treatment
Gum Disease Dental Implants Retainers Dry Mouth Invisalign Orthodontics Cosmetic Dentistry Sedation Dentist Clear Braces Sedation Oral Hygiene Sleep Apnea Sleep Dentist Invisible Braces Sapphire Teeth Whitening Flossing Brushing Bad Breath Routine Visits Dental Cleanings Dental Hygiene Lumineers Non-Surgical Periodontal Treatment General Dentistry Teeth Whitening Braces Dental Restorations Periodontal Disease