Once your Invisalign treatment has successfully realigned your teeth, the next important step in your orthodontic treatment is the retention phase. Whether you’ve gone through Invisalign treatment or not, teeth are continually moving to some degree and it may not always be perceptible. This means that you will need to wear some type of orthodontic retainer after your Invisalign treatment is completed.
Wearing retainers after the completion of your Invisalign treatment should be considered an essential element of the overall treatment. If you do not wear the retainer provided by your San Bruno Invisalign Dentist, it is likely that your teeth will begin to drift. You may be surprised to learn that going without a retainer for even a relatively short period of time can give teeth enough of an opportunity to shift to cause another misalignment.
There are certain teeth alignment problems that need to be retained longer than others. Problems such as open bites, gaps between teeth, twisted or rotated teeth (especially upper and lower front teeth) have a high tendency to relapse or move back to their original position. Therefore, retention is more critical in these kinds of cases. Your Invisalign dentist is the best person to judge what is appropriate in your situation.
There are essentially two types of retainers: fixed and removable. As the names imply, these terms refer to the fact that the retainer is either permanently attached to your teeth or is removable. Each has its own distinct advantages and disadvantages. Your San Bruno Invisalign Dentist can discuss both these options with you and help you make the decision as to which will be most beneficial to your situation.
Now that you’ve completed the Invisalign treatment successfully it makes sense to consider the retention phase as an ongoing and necessary part of your treatment. You’ve already made an investment in a beautiful, even smile. By conscientiously using your retainer you are simply protecting your investment.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
- San Bruno Cosmetic Dentist Reveals the Secret to a Youthful Smile
- San Bruno Cosmetic Dentist Explains the Benefits of Custom Teeth Whitening
- San Bruno, CA Periodontics Dentist Discusses Professional Dental Cleanings
- San Bruno Veneers Dentist Explains the Best Way to Care for Your New Porcelain Veneers
- San Bruno Periodontal Dentistry Describes Complications of Periodontal Disease
- San Bruno Invisalign Dentist Discusses Advantages of Clear Braces for Straightening Teeth
- San Bruno Restorative Dentistry Describes How Lumineers Fix the Appearance of Damaged Teeth
- San Bruno Restorative Dentistry Explains Why Dental Restorations May Wear Down
- San Bruno Periodontal Dentist Addresses Symptoms of Dry Mouth and Bad Breath
- San Bruno Dentist Explains Laser Periodontal Treatment
Braces Sapphire Teeth Whitening Sleep Apnea General Dentistry Flossing Clear Braces Dental Implants Sedation Dentist Periodontal Disease Sedation Cosmetic Dentistry Orthodontics Oral Hygiene Brushing Invisalign Lumineers Bad Breath Dental Hygiene Teeth Whitening Routine Visits Invisible Braces Dental Cleanings Gum Disease Dental Restorations Non-Surgical Periodontal Treatment Dry Mouth Retainers Sleep Dentist