Let’s start with one of the most popular whitening products being sold today. A home whitening tray kit purchased over-the-counter may claim to provide a custom fit. But a plastic tray from a kit purchased at your grocery store is simply not going to give you the same fit as a tray that is custom-made by the San Bruno Cosmetic Dentist.
Why is the fit so important? If you’ve ever tried whitening your teeth and had the bleaching gel come in contact with your gums, you already know the answer. It’s very important to minimize the contact of any bleaching agent with sensitive gum tissue because that stinging sensation you feel is not your only problem. Sensitive gum tissue that is frequently exposed to the chemical agents in teeth whitening kits can be more prone to serious gum problems like periodontal disease and gingivitis.
In order to provide a customized teeth whitening tray that fits your teeth perfectly, your dentist will take an impression of your teeth. The resulting custom-made tray is trimmed to cover the entire surface stopping just short of the gum line. This special contouring not only protects the sensitive gum tissue but also eliminates irritation caused by tray edges rubbing against the gum line.
A custom-fit whitening tray can also provides full contact with the entire tooth surface. This results in a uniform whitening of the teeth since the bleaching agent stays in contact with the whole tooth for the duration of the treatment time. A tray that is designed to fit perfectly is also more comfortable for the wearer and more likely to be worn for the recommended time needed to achieve desired results.
Contact our office if you’re interested in learning more about the ways in which a customized teeth whitening treatment can help you obtain a great, sparkling smile. We will help you decide if you’re a better candidate for an in-office teeth whitening such as the Sapphire Whitening System or a customized, take-home bleaching kit.
It is inevitable that your old dental restorations will wear down with the passing of time. Obviously this detracts from your beautiful smile. Dental crowns and fillings may be a common solution for restoring the structure of a tooth, but they may not be the most cosmetically attractive solution.
From time to time we see a patient at San Bruno Restorative Dentistry who has had a chipped or cracked tooth repaired with a dental crown. However, it may be the case that a dental crown has been placed that does not blend in with the natural teeth. In some cases a dental crown may even become discolored. Not only is this unattractive but it is obvious to observers that the dental restoration is not a natural tooth.
What causes a dental restorations to "fail"?
A patient may experience problems with a dental restoration for any one of a number of reasons:
- Your dental restorations may have been placed without regard for cosmetic appeal. This happens less frequently with advances in cosmetic dentistry, but sometimes a patient looks for a “quick fix” or makes do with a temporary crown that may be noticeable to onlookers.
- Your gums may recede, revealing the dark edges around your dental crown. This usually occurs because of poor oral hygiene.
- The shade of your natural tooth does not match the shade of your dental restorations making them more obvious.Dental restorations do not change colors as your teeth do. If you experience severe staining or have a teeth whitening treatment, you will most likely have to replace your crowns so they match the shade of your teeth.
It may simply be a matter of not being happy with the way your dental restoration looks. If that is the case, contact San Bruno Restorative Dentistry. We will work with you to find the best solution for you to restore your beautiful smile, and give you back confidence in your appearance.
Teeth that are cracked, decayed, missing, or incorrectly aligned can alter your appearance as well and make you feel self-conscious. But the presence of these conditions can and often does lead to other problems such as periodontal disease, jaw pain, and difficulty chewing. Cosmetic dentistry combined with general dental treatments can correct these issues, restoring your oral health and beautiful smile.
The professional team at our San Bruno Dental Medicine practice understands the need to address the individual needs of each and every patient. When visiting our office, you will find that we work closely with you to find the specific course of treatment that targets your specific needs. As we find the solutions that work best for you, we will also be correcting potentially harmful dental issues, giving you a smile you can be proud of.
There are several solutions offered by a cosmetic dentist to perfect your smile:
- Porcelain Veneers can be placed over discolored teeth to correct problems such as gaps between teeth, uneven spacing, and crooked teeth
- Dental Implants replace missing teeth and offer additional support against shifting teeth and jaw collapse
- Porcelain Crowns offer a strong, aesthetically pleasing solution for patients with cracked or chipped teeth
- Tooth-colored fillings prevent further decay with a natural appearance, unlike unattractive amalgam fillings
- Teeth whitening in our office or using take-home trays can remove or greatly minimize discoloration caused by aging or lifestyle habits such as smoking or consumption of staining elements like red wine.
The outer layer of your teeth is enamel. This enamel protects the inner dentin. When you’re young, this enamel is at its optimal density. As you age, this hard surface takes a beating. Smoking, acidic foods and discoloring agents like coffee and red wine all contribute to the deterioration of dental enamel.Your teeth also become more porous as you age, allowing these causative agents a greater opportunity to penetrate and destroy tooth enamel.
Lying under tooth enamel is dentin, the calcified tissue that surrounds and protects the root and pulp of your tooth. Dentin naturally has a yellowish color. As tooth enamel deteriorates and becomes porous, the underlying dentin becomes more apparent. The result is that your teeth begin to take on a dull, yellowish appearance. As you age and indulge in foods and beverages, the breakdown of the outer enamel continues and the dentin becomes more apparent.
In reality, teeth whitening is unrelated to teeth yellowing. You can use any number of teeth whitening products and see some positive results. However, you can do far more to help keep your teeth white and bright by avoiding those foods and beverages that seep into and discolor your tooth enamel.
It’s important o understand that tooth enamel cannot be restored. There are no teeth whitening products or procedures that will make enamel magically “grow back.” When it’s gone, it’s gone. But you can avoid the appearance of yellow teeth. Be proactive in protecting this vital component of your teeth by being aware of the types of foods you consume. Reduce consumption of acidic foods like soda, energy drinks, juice, wine, and citrus fruits. Smoking and using tobacco products also cause significant damage to dental enamel.
Professional teeth whitening can produce amazing results. The team at our San Bruno Cosmetic Dentistry office specializes in this procedure and can guide you to the alternative that will produce the best result for you. Contact our office to arrange for a visit to discuss these alternatives and achieve the bright smile you’ve always wanted.
Dental patients today who visit our San Bruno Dental Office are usually seeking a new dentist who not only makes them feel comfortable but can also provide a wide range of services that provide the patient with “one-stop” convenience.
General dentists are dedicated to preventing and providing treatment for cavities and gum disease. If you visit a general dentist and a problem is diagnosed, he or she will assess the best way to restore the tooth involved. On the other hand, cosmetic dentists specialize in performing largely elective dental procedures developed specifically to help make your smile more attractive. Cosmetic dentistry procedures available include teeth whitening, tooth-colored fillings, Invisalign invisible braces, veneers, inlays, and dental crowns.
There may be cases where a restorative procedure will include a cosmetic element of some type. For example, if one of our patients comes to our practice after sustaining a chipped front tooth, the tooth will need to be restored to preserve its structure and to prevent decay. Because of the chip, the tooth is not as sound structurally, and so it is much more vulnerable to further damage. In this hypothetical case, the tooth also affects the overall appearance of the smile. Depending on the extent and type of damage, there are several restorative options. Dental bonding, porcelain veneers (or Lumineers) and crowns are all used to repair a damaged tooth.
As you can see, there is not always a definitive line between general and cosmetic dentistry. Our San Bruno California Dental Office, provides a full spectrum of preventative, restorative, and cosmetic dental procedures in a state-of-the-art, comfortable environment. Please contact our office for further information or if you would like to schedule an appointment or a free consultation.
In the past decade there has been a dramatic increase in the demand for cosmetic dentistry. We all understand that having a healthy, bright, beautiful smile enhances our appearance and allows us to increases self-confidence. Thanks to the advances in modern cosmetic dentistry, cosmetic dentistry is no longer a luxury reserved for movie stars, and our San Bruno, CA Cosmetic Dentist Office is able to improve your smile with quick, painless and surprisingly affordable treatments.
Common cosmetic dental procedures can be performed to correct misshapen, discolored, chipped or missing teeth. Procedures used in the practice of cosmetic dentistry can also change the overall shape of teeth, whether they are too long or short, have gaps, or simply need to be reshaped to create a more attractive smile.
- Some of the more common procedures involve:
- Change the size, shape, and alignment of certain teeth
- Fill in unattractive spaces between teeth
- Improve or correct bites
- Lighten or brighten the color of teeth
- Repair decayed, broken, cracked, or chipped teeth
- Replace missing teeth
- Replace old, unattractive dental treatments
Which techniques should be used to improve your smile? Before making any decisions, your dentist will need to do a complete dental exam. It is very important to identify any underlying issues that may affect the results of any cosmetic dental procedure. The professionals at San Bruno Cosmetic Dentistry will also discuss your about your lifestyle to determine the best treatment for you. Contact your cosmetic dental professional for more information and to take the first step towards obtaining the smile of your dreams.
What makes Invisalign aligners preferable to traditional braces?
- Easy Treatment Plan: Your Invisalign™ treatment starts when we take the X-rays used to create a 3-d digital image of your mouth. Next, you’ll be given a series of custom-made aligners that you will take home and change about every two weeks. You will see the difference in your smile every time you change aligners! You will be scheduled for checkups every six weeks or so at San Bruno Dental Medicine so we can monitor your progress.
- Convenient: Simply wear your aligners throughout the day, removing them to eat. This allows you to eat foods you love without the worry of particles getting stuck in wires and brackets.
- Easily removable: You will continue to brush and floss your teeth as you normally would. Your Invisalign™ aligners can simply be brushed and rinsed in lukewarm water.
- Adaptable to your active lifestyle: Since Invisalign™ aligners are nearly invisible; most people won’t even notice you’re wearing them. You don’t have to worry about the discomfort of metal braces and wires that can poke and irritate your mouth, and if you’re involved in contact sports, Invisalign™ aligners are easily removed, enabling you to wear a protective mouth guard if necessary.
How long does the entire process take?
It’s difficult to say exactly how long you will need to wear your Invisalign™ aligners since everyone is unique. Contact the San Bruno General Cosmetic Dentist for a free consultation to evaluate your individual situation. Generally speaking though, Invisalign™ treatment usually takes about a year for adults. For teens, the length of treatment is comparable to that of traditional braces, with less discomfort and the added advantage of seeing the improvement every time you change aligners!
Teeth that are cracked, decayed, missing, or incorrectly aligned not only mar your appearance and make you feel self-conscious, but they can lead to a variety of other problems including periodontal disease, jaw pain, and difficulty with chewing. Cosmetic dentistry can correct these issues, restoring your oral health and beautiful smile.
Cosmetic Dental Solutions
At San Bruno General Dentist we understand that every patient’s needs are unique. When you visit our office, we will work closely with you to find the solution that is right for you, correcting potentially harmful dental issues and giving you a smile you can be proud of.
Cosmetic dentistry offers several solutions for perfecting your smile:
- Porcelain Veneers can cover discolored teeth and correct problems like uneven spacing, gaps, and crooked teeth
- Dental Implants can be used to replace missing teeth and offer additional support against shifting teeth and jaw collapse
- Porcelain Crowns offer a strong, aesthetically pleasing solution for patients with cracked or chipped teeth
- Tooth-colored fillings prevent further decay while appearing natural, unlike amalgam fillings
- Tooth bonding corrects the appearance of broken, misaligned, or crooked teeth
There are almost unlimited options for creating a smile you can be proud of. In addition to correcting potential dental problems and ensuring your overall oral health, San Bruno General Cosmetic Dentist offers a wide range of cosmetic services from basic teeth whitening to more complex procedures such as dental implants. This combination of sound general dentistry combined with cosmetic dentistry offers a solution for every smile.
There’s a huge selection of tooth whitening tray kits available in your supermarket. But did you know that choosing a customized at-home tooth whitening kit from a qualified cosmetic dentist may prevent other dental issues arising from the use of over-the-counter whitening agents?
Home whitening tray kits cannot provide the exact fit obtained when using a custom made whitening tray provided by your dentist. A custom tray is designed to minimize the contact of bleaching gel with gum tissue. Trays that don’t fit properly can also cause irritation when the edge of a bleaching tray rubs against the gums.
When custom bleaching trays are used gum irritation can be kept to a minimum, helping to protect you against more serious gum issues (periodontitis, gingivitis) down the road. For this reason a custom-fit whitening tray is most important in instances where a relatively higher concentration whitener is being used. In order to provide a perfect-fitting customized tray, your San Bruno Tooth Whitening Dentist takes an impression of your teeth. The resulting custom-made tray is trimmed so that it covers the entire surface of each tooth, falling just short of the gum line. This special contouring not only protects the sensitive gum tissue but also eliminates irritation caused by tray edges rubbing against the gum line.
The fit of a custom-molded tray from your cosmetic dentist has other advantages:
Contact with the entire tooth surface: A uniform whitening effect is best achieved when the whitener being used remains in contact with the entire surface of a tooth.
Proper tray retention: It’s important that the whitening tray stay in place for maximum whitening action. A custom-fabricated tray can virtually guarantee this type of fit.
Contact San Bruno Cosmetic Dentistry to determine if you’re a better candidate for an in-office whitening procedure such as the Sapphire Whitening System or a customized, take-home bleaching kit. Your cosmetic dentist is highly trained and dedicated to your overall oral health as well as helping you achieve a brighter smile.
If you’ve shopped for over-the-counter tooth whitening products lately, you were probably overwhelmed by the number of products available that claim to whiten your teeth. But how effective are they in reality? Let’s take a look at some of the more popular products on the market today and see how they stack up.
Whitening strips purchased at your local pharmacy have drawbacks. They do contain a peroxide-based whitening agent, but it is not nearly as potent as those safely used in our San Bruno Cosmetic Dentist office. Also, whitening strips only touch the front surface of your teeth, missing the spaces between your teeth. Though it is possible to remove stains over time with whitening strips it may take months to see any significant results.
Whitening Rinses are similar to mouthwashes. They kill bacteria, refresh your breath and may help remove plaque. Unlike mouthwashes, whitening rinses contain hydrogen peroxide. Manufactures advise you to rinse your mouth twice a day for one minute each and state that it may take 12 weeks to see results. Most consumers report no difference after using, probably because the rinse barely touches your teeth for two minutes a day.
Whitening gels are clear, peroxide-based gels applied directly to the surface of your teeth. Instructions generally call for twice a day application for 14 days. Initial results are seen in a few days and final results are sustained for about four months. However, application can be difficult since teeth are required to be completely free of saliva before use.
Whether you choose a home whitening treatment option or an in-office whitening procedure such as the Sapphire Whitening System, you should consult with your dentist first. Our San Bruno, CA Cosmetic Dentist can examine your teeth and determine if there are any underlying issues with your teeth or gums that would cause problems as a result of using over-the-counter whitening agents.
- San Bruno, CA Cosmetic Dentist Office Explains Importance of Replacing Old Dental Restorations
- San Bruno, CA Dental Implants Dentist Explains Importance of Replacing Missing Teeth
- San Bruno Cosmetic Dentist Reveals the Secret to a Youthful Smile
- San Bruno Cosmetic Dentist Explains the Benefits of Custom Teeth Whitening
- San Bruno, CA Periodontics Dentist Discusses Professional Dental Cleanings
- San Bruno Veneers Dentist Explains the Best Way to Care for Your New Porcelain Veneers
- San Bruno Periodontal Dentistry Describes Complications of Periodontal Disease
- San Bruno Invisalign Dentist Discusses Advantages of Clear Braces for Straightening Teeth
- San Bruno Restorative Dentistry Describes How Lumineers Fix the Appearance of Damaged Teeth
- San Bruno Restorative Dentistry Explains Why Dental Restorations May Wear Down